Follow the updates and latest trends of SOS Animals Malta on this blog. We welcome our users suggestion for the future.
Ready to clean your dog kennel? It’s important to regularly clean the kennel to keep your dog healthy and stay away from infection. Just like food safety, an hygiene sleeping place plays a vital role in overall health of your pet.
Before we start remove all the items like water container, food feeder, couch, etc., from the kennel.
Steps to Cleanse The Kennel Thoroughly.
- Use disinfectants
- Fix damages in the floor and in the walls
- Repaint the kennel walls
- Clean the feed supply box
Effective use of disinfectants is a must to keep the infections at bay. Dilute a little disinfectant solution in water at an appropriate ratio. And Keep in mind to use the best power washer to spray the disinfectants (detergents or bleech) throughout the kennel walls.
Since most the disinfectants cause irritation to the pet you should rinse the entire kennel again with water. Again a high pressure washer is a handy equipment that cleans out organic and inorganic wastes effectively from the kennel. As always do remember to follow the instructions mentioned by the disinfectant manufacturer.
Fix damages in the floor and in the walls
Damages in the walls or in the concrete floor is an open entry for insects and other small animals that spread germs and cause infection to your pet.
To fix the damages in the concrete use a rubber sealant and let it dry for a few hours. And replace the crack wood with new wood.
Repaint the kennel walls
Once you are done fixing the damages in the kennel, now repaint the kennel walls. Some experts prefer to coat epoxy to their pet’s kennel and it is a bit on the expensive side. If you are comfortable with normal oil paint then go ahead with it.
The main purpose is to protect your pet from the wear and tear of the inner surfaces of the kennel. Regular painting is again mandatory duty to perform.
Dogs are sensitive to chemical paints so relocate them to a safer place before painting. Also wait for a day or two before moving your pet back into the kennel to avoid problems arising from paint.
Clean the feed supply box
All the feed supply utensils and box should be periodically cleaned to prevent germ growth inside the utensils. The skin, hair and other particles fall into these feed supply box and may become host to many parasites.
Especially the water storage container should be cleaned at-least once a week to stop algae formation. Use hot water to clean these steel utensils and then put it back into the kennel.
That’s it. I know it’s heavy work at the end of the day but considering that your dogs are safe this heavy work may not seem bigger.
Except for painting rest all steps mentioned earlier would be worth doing every week for an hygienic kennel and an healthy pet dog.
Are you ready to sew a fleece blanket for animals? Apart from food safety the animals do require saftey from weather too. Especially the cats love the blankets and your other pets would definitely appreciate in their own way for the blanket you made them.
If you have friends or family who can sew or support you in your sewing work then try spending this Christmas sewing a fleece blanket for your pets or other homeless animals. You are helping animals guys (a good deed).
Before we begin we assume you are making a number of blankets but in this article we would be laying out a brief guide to make one blanket. You can repeat the same steps and sew a blanket for your pets or other animals of different sizes.
If you are unsure take the support of others who are more experienced in sewing. Materials required for making a blanket are: fleece fabric, measurement tape, scissors, a good reliable beginners sewing machine for simple projects, matching threads, marker, a ruler.
When you are choosing a fleece fabric, see that you pick a machine washable fabric and colors that you think your pets might like. If you are sewing for a kitten then the fabric required is less and for larger animals you might require more fabric.
Instructions for Sewing a Large Fleece Blanket.
- Take your fleece fabric and cut out rectangles with 20 inches in width and 30 to 36 inches in length. You have to make two such rectangles.
- Place one rectangle piece over the other covering each other completely.
- You can use pins to secure the two rectangles together.
- Use your sewing machine to sew on a longer side of the fleece and you should sew in such a way that it is half an inch away from the edges. This is to avoid rough edges when the blanket is complete.
- While sewing you should make sure that you are sewing a straight stitch and don’t get carried away and use other styles of stitches.
- Once you have finished sewing from one end of the longer side to the other end now you should continue to sew on the shorter side too.
- Or you can just cut the thread and start a new stitch starting from the shorter side of the stitch.
- Continue stitching till you finish a round trip ending at where you started.
- Now lift the presser foot and make some extra stitches before cutting the thread off.
- Now cut out a small section 2 inch wide square at the corners.
- See that you are cutting both the rectangle fabric and not just one.
- Next cut half inch on all the four sides of the fabric and then tie the top side of the fleece to the bottom side to complete the blanket.
For Sewing Small Fleece Blanket:
Vary the fabric size both the length and the width to sew a small blanket. Finally, cuddle up the fabric by knotting at one end and cover over your pet.
A note for beginners, if you don’t get it right the first time don’t worry you can always re-purpose it by ripping the blanket with seam ripper or restitch it to complete the fleece blanket.
You can use it for your own pet care or donate the blanket to help any homeless animals in your locality and celebrate thanksgiving.
A lot of the pet owners are not aware of the fact that food safety applies to our pets similar to humans. Improperly preserved food might cause serious infections to your pets. This infection can spread to you and your family from the pets if not treated early.
If you love your pet, then I sincerely request you to wash your hands before and after feeding them.
Let me brief up some food safety tips for your pets.
Today freezing and food refrigeration are two major pet food preservation methods being followed through out the world.
Let’s go in detail about the refrigeration, the process of refrigeration is to slow down the food rot, for example, a food not preserved may spoil in a day or two, but if well-refrigerated the food rots at a very slow rate like a week or more.
Freezing in another case ceases the bacterial growth or completely removes spoiling activity as long as the food is frozen.
Both these preservation methods, freezing and refrigeration are used for majority of the pet foods, meat, fruits, and more. Don’t worry deep freezing will not alter the texture nor the taste of your pet food. But fruits tend to lose a bit of texture and not noticeable to your pets.
Refrigeration has minimal effects on the pet food and this is why it is widely adapted around the globe. I usually use a freezerless compact refrigerator only for preserving food for a longer duration of time.
Canned pet food was being fed to animals way back in the early 20th century. The pet food undergoes boiling which kills germs and the can would be sealed during the boiling process to avoid any more new germs from entering the can.
The pet food in the can would not spoil due to the boiling process. But once the canned food is opened the germs start feeding on the food, now you have to refrigerate the food at any cost to avoid germ build.
Cans in general are metal built but we do also get glass based cans. For example, consider milk which is sealed in a aluminium foil type material but is called as canned milk.
The concept of canned milk is similar to the previously explained process of boiling and preserving in the can.
How to Preserve Pet Food in the Refrigerator.
Even refrigerator is not safe to store your pet food, if one of the foods is contaminated that might spread to other foods too. Here is a list of tips to store the pet food including leftover food to avoid the contamination.
Milk and Meat.
When you get your new items may it be milk or meat try not to open the store wraps. Do it only if necessary.
Keeping the food open would again increase the risk of contamination to spread. Place the meat or milk in a container.
Do not unwrap the milk or any diary products until you want to feed your pet. When open keep the milk and other products in a fresh container tightly sealed after use.
Milk is safe to consume or feed your pet as long as it is used within the expiration date.
For more safety tips read the pet food safety guide.
Fruits and Vegetables.
- Vegetable and fruits are to be stored separately in the refrigerator. This is because both have different textures and the aroma is said to mix up when put together.
- If you have fresh fruits or vegetables that are prone to dehydration then store them in a open container to retain moisture. On the other hand, some foods are better when dry and using a good food dehydrator is an option you can store food for a longer period.
- Washing or storing the wet fruits would cause mold development on the vegetable and fruits.
Leftover Pet Food.
- Put all the leftover pet food in a sealed container.
- Store the leftovers in different section to cool the food and stop germs from spreading throughout if any.
- We have to bust a myth here, some think storing hot food is not a good idea but the refrigerators can definitely handle the heat so put the pet food without worrying.
- If you have put any stuffing into the food then please remove them and store separately.
- Try not to store food in metal cans which may put in residues of metal into the food.
- Last tip of the day – let some air circulate throughout the fridge so avoid stuffing the fridge full with food.